How to Communicate in a Leadership Role – with Gary RossNov 16, 2023
In today's fast-paced corporate world, effective communication is crucial. Gary Ross, the president of Inside Comms and a renowned expert in the field of workplace communication, offers invaluable insights on how to refine our communication skills.
One of Gary's main messages was about the importance of mindful and intentional communication, and how it builds trust and empowers leaders to inspire and influence their teams.
The Top 3 Rules of Communication
- Everything Communicates: Gary highlighted the fact that all our actions, whether deliberate or not, communicate something to those around us. This includes not only what we say but also what we don't say. In essence, understanding that everything communicates can help us be more intentional with our communication.
- Know Your Audience: The ability to effectively communicate also hinges on understanding our audience. Gary emphasized the importance of knowing what motivates your audience, what they need, and how to deliver the information in a way that resonates with them. By doing so, you can tailor your message to the needs of your audience and ensure it has the desired impact.
- Tell Them a Story: Lastly, Gary encouraged the use of storytelling as a powerful communication tool. By creating a narrative arc in your communication, you can engage people emotionally, capture their imagination, and motivate them more effectively.
The Importance of Communication in the Workplace
- Effective communication is critical in fostering trust and productivity in the workplace, as it allows for clearer understanding and better collaboration among team members.
- Intentional and mindful communication involves considering the audience's perspective and ensuring messages are clear and free of unnecessary jargon or filler words.
- Storytelling is a powerful communication technique that eliminates the consequences of miscommunication, which can lead to confusion and misunderstandings, negatively impacting the work environment.
According to Gary, clear and succinct communication is key in a world inundated with snippets of information. By implementing these strategies, we can all become better communicators and foster healthier and more productive workplace environments.
Whether you are a leader looking to inspire your team, or an individual seeking to increase your influence, the power of effective communication cannot be underestimated.
Visit the Wannos Law Firm, a premier Florida employment law firm, to discuss your employment needs. At the Wannos Law Firm, we help Florida businesses with the following:
- Legal Document Preparation: we prepare employee handbooks, employment agreements, independent contractor agreements, and other legal documentation for Florida businesses with employees
- Risk Assessment: we conduct a comprehensive audit of your business and HR procedures and policies to help ensure you are legally protected
- Florida Workplace Investigations: we are a neutral third-party investigator of workplace matters, including claims of harassment, discrimination, and retaliation.
- Florida Mediator for Employment Claims: Karly is a Florida Supreme Court Certified mediator and helps the parties reach a resolution of their Florida employment lawsuits
For more information, visit The Wannos Law Firm at https://www.wannoslaw.com/contact
If you want to learn more about The Employment Experience Podcast, check out https://www.karlywannos.com/blog/ee055
The Wannos Law Firm, P.A. provides legal advice to Florida businesses. Karly Wannos is a workplace investigator for claims of discrimination, harassment and retaliation, Florida employment law mediator and provides training to businesses on employment laws.
Don't Miss an Employment Law Update!
Join our newsletter for updates on the most important employment laws, delivered to your inbox!
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.